We didn’t realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun.
— Winne The Pooh
Family vacation time is a lot of things. It’s exciting to spend quality time together and also sometimes hard to be so close for days/weeks on end. It’s fun to try new things together and to create new memories. Sometimes a family member is being missed or sometimes a new family member is being eagerly anticipated. Whatever season your family is in, when you strip everything down it’s just nice to be together and to explore new areas.
Here are a few ways you can be sure to capture some great moments together and to document your trip:
- Bring the device you are most likely to use: It’s great if you have a big DSLR camera and a giant lens for zooming in on your family; however, your big camera won’t be much help if it’s too annoying/heavy to take out of the bag. If your phone or a small point and shoot camera is what you are most comfortable with and what you are most likely to use, then that’s the perfect tool for the job.
- Get yourself in the frame: Bring a tripod or get creative by carefully using your surroundings to prop up your camera/phone so that you can be in the picture too. Alternatively, take a good old-fashioned family selfie… Bonus points if you have a selfie stick.
- Attach great memories to your photos: The best time to take a photo is during or right after a moment you never want to forget. Our favourite photos are usually the ones we associate with a valued memory or experience. If your kid is discovering something new or you and your significant other just accomplished something together, make sure to capture that moment.
- But also, be present: Taking family vacation photographs is important, but so is being present for the actual moment. It is all about balance, try not to live your vacation through your phone screen. Enjoy your moments together, take a quick picture, and be present for your family.
- Print your photos when you get home: Living in this digital world is fun because not only can we see our photos right away but we can also share them with friends and family pretty much in real time. I always remind my clients to keep it classic by printing out a few favourites so they have them forever, even if they just go on the fridge or in a photo album. Printing your photos is the only way to guarantee their longevity, because we are all too familiar with lost phones, broken phones, software updates, corrupt files … Plus, printing them lets you see pictures of your favourite people every day 🙂
If you are here visiting Golden British-Columbia and Kicking Horse Mountain Resort and would rather have somebody else do the documenting, consider booking a portrait session with Jena Lee Photographs. I would love to help you create beautiful photographs of you and your family here in the mountains.
Otherwise, I wish you a Summer full of relaxing days, warm nights, and effective bug-spray.
Jena LaRoy completed her Professional Photography Diploma at Langara Collge in Vancouver British-Columbia and then returned to her hometown Golden B.C. to launch her photography business (2017). Jena Lee Photographs helps you create meaningful portraits and offers full custom design, framing, and image-printing services so that you have physical images to enjoy, not just digital dust.
Please visit the Client Guide for more information about photography sessions with Jena Lee Photographs: